Technology in Communication Careers--Copywriter
The current position I hold now is a copywriter for an advertising agency. Unlike my experience in publishing, I didn't get to see the transition to incorporating technology into this career. Eight months ago I came into this job, and learned how technology played a role in my job. For example, ProofHQ is our routing system for jobs. It goes through the whole team and allows everyone to digitally review and make changes to a project. I do hear stories, however, of the old days when there were "job bags" where the routing was a physical route and all versions of the project were lugged around from person to person. It definitely prevents us from getting up and walking a bit more but it does make things more efficient.
The pieces I work on also have to be submitted for legal review to make sure that the content is not making any over-promises or inaccurate. So, in order to do that, there's a whole online system where we submit the document and then tag all of the annotations so that it can be properly reviewed. I imagine that not too long ago, this wasn't the case and legal reviews were done differently with annotations on the actual piece and references having to be submitted by paper. The only downside to this change with technology is the danger of it ruining our vision or making us even lazier by not properly reviewing something. "Research shows that between 50% and 90% of people who work at a computer screen have at least some symptoms" ("What is," n.d.). Staring a a screen all day has side effects and reading on a screen versus on paper leaves more room for error.
References:
What Is Computer Vision Syndrome? (n.d.). Retrieved February 02, 2018, from https://www.webmd.com/eye-health/computer-vision-syndrome#1
The pieces I work on also have to be submitted for legal review to make sure that the content is not making any over-promises or inaccurate. So, in order to do that, there's a whole online system where we submit the document and then tag all of the annotations so that it can be properly reviewed. I imagine that not too long ago, this wasn't the case and legal reviews were done differently with annotations on the actual piece and references having to be submitted by paper. The only downside to this change with technology is the danger of it ruining our vision or making us even lazier by not properly reviewing something. "Research shows that between 50% and 90% of people who work at a computer screen have at least some symptoms" ("What is," n.d.). Staring a a screen all day has side effects and reading on a screen versus on paper leaves more room for error.
References:
What Is Computer Vision Syndrome? (n.d.). Retrieved February 02, 2018, from https://www.webmd.com/eye-health/computer-vision-syndrome#1
Comments
Post a Comment